• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Oh, there's also a separate Kujibiki Unbalance series but it's done in a different style than the KU OVA's, completely unnecessary to Genshiken, poorly rated and, well, very skippable

I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be bad. That's the joke about it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade. Holy crap the animation was good. This was a very dark and often depressing movie, but I lapped it up. There was very little actual fighting, most of the conflict came from psychological issues. I loved the scheming and double-crossing. I loved the art, and the realistic character designs. I loved how Germany won World War 2 and were the occupiers instead of the Americans. I love how I'll have to watch it again just to make sure I've caught everything.

So yeah, great movie. Just not for those who need over stimulation a la Redline.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Oh, there's also a separate Kujibiki Unbalance series but it's done in a different style than the KU OVA's, completely unnecessary to Genshiken, poorly rated and, well, very skippable

I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be bad. That's the joke about it.

No one makes a 12 episode series with the direct intention of it being "bad"- I'm pretty sure it was self-consciously cliched- as that was supposed to be the original joke (it was a show for the otakus of Genshiken so it had to hit all the marks) but in trying to take itself somewhat seriously it lost the joke. It stopped being a joke about cliches and ended up just being a painfully cliched show. Not even funny as meta-humor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
No one makes a 12 episode series with the direct intention of it being "bad"
Musashi. That's the only exception I know of, but wow. That is bad, and intentionally so Anime dazed I think it is 24 eps long too.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
ha ha... anime#6452

#1 most diverging opinion

The rating looks like a sideways devil sign.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supercreep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Vol. 6 of Eureka Seven (episode 26) and I'm going to take a break and watch something shorter before finishing it up.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Started watching some episodes of Magic Knight Rayearth second season. While I like the characters and the interactions alot, I felt like some of the mythos and other things were a bit "bloated" in a way. Kind of hard to explain, but its like adding in a bunch of bells and whistles to things I felt they didn't really have to go there, but its still alright so far. The pacing feels tight, with much more talking than I expected. Don't mind the more mech stuff though.

I guess I do kind of miss the first season feel of an RPG-like magical adventure and more of the magical girl elements. Thanks for those that gave me a heads up, it helps kind of soften the shock some. Will see how it all turns out.
kilaria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
I was happy to find a complete set of Simoun on ebay that WASN'T the box set, and all individual disks/cases. I don't mind box sets, but when it's done very cheaply and they just stack the disks one on top of the other I usually pass because I find disks always get damaged that way.

Anyways, Despite having other series on my shelf that I haven't yet watched, I immediately put the first disk of Simoun in because I've been wanting to watch it for a very long time. I was hooked from the first episode. I loved everything about this show. The characters, the story, the animation... The cover art on each case makes you think the anime is much more risque than it really is. When really, everything about the girls and any relationships they may have during the series is extremely innocent and pure.

This is definitely a series that I will revisit again in the future. I have a feeling it will be one of those anime that you enjoy even more the second time around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Have finally started watching things with some regularity as of late. This is a very good feeling.

Have caught up with the latest Naruto Shippuden episodes after a LONG time away from the series. I must say that I cried all the way through episode 249...wow great stuff.

Just started Fate/Zero the other night and I'm already halfway through! I absolutely love what I'm seeing so far! Can't wait to see where it goes next.

Also still working my way through Fighting Spirit, though I've hit a bit of a lag with it, though not because I don't enjoy it though. It's still as good as ever and will eventually be finished.
Shin Granzon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
RahXephon: Re-watching it for the.....I don't know how many times it is now, but I keep coming back to it. Sure some peoples say it borrows heavily from Evangelion, but it really doesn't. It's its own entity even if it does leave questions until you re-watch or go back and visit old episodes. Always a favorite of mine. Currently on Episode 17: Return To The Maze(Memory Of The Lost City).

Turn-A Gundam: Been trying to get back into this series after having left it for about a year. I keep getting told it will soon pick up pace, it's managed to keep me interested this time around. Currently on Episode 14: Separated Again.

Eureka Seven: After replaying Super Robot Taisen Z AGAIN for the 3rd time, I decided to re-watch this one. It actually played an integral part in the Z storyline later in the game, so it got me in the mood. Currently on Episode 10: Higher Than The Sun.

Gundam 00: Trying to finish the first season of this one, and I have to say that it has me hooked. I've had the series sitting around for about 2 months before deciding to watch it a couple weeks ago. Currently on Episode 11: Allelujah.

Last edited by Shin Granzon on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
Shin Granzon wrote:
RahXephon: Re-watching it for the.....I don't know how many times it is now, but I keep coming back to it. Sure some peoples say it borrows heavily from Evangelion, but it really doesn't.

Yeah, it really does. I understand people digging RahXephon; there's stuff in it I like too even though ultimately the series in its entirety left me "meh". To deny that it borrows heavily from Evangelion is simply silly. It's impossible to watch both shows and not see striking parallels. There are definite differences, too, of course, but it doesn't alter the fact that there is major borrowing going on.
Shin Granzon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
Well okay. It DOES borrow heavily from Evangelion, but it's done in a way that I feel makes it its own beast. When dealing with the kind of subject matter both series present us, you have to look at how both deliver. I still like RahXephon regardless of where it got its ideas. But yes, I shouldn't have said it didn't borrow at ALL. Evangelion just doesn't do it for me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Fair enough. dtm42 is probably the biggest RahXephon here at ANN and I'm pretty sure at one point he posted that the two shows shared a lot of the same staff and that in some ways RahXephon was an attempt to do Evangelion "right" or to at least amend some of what are perceived as deficiencies in NGE. One of these days I plan to sit down and watch both series again, back to back.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
MariMite DVDs arrived, so I'm going to slowly work my way through those for the next few weeks in between the regular season and FFXIII-2.
Shin Granzon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Fair enough. dtm42 is probably the biggest RahXephon here at ANN and I'm pretty sure at one point he posted that the two shows shared a lot of the same staff and that in some ways RahXephon was an attempt to do Evangelion "right" or to at least amend some of what are perceived as deficiencies in NGE. One of these days I plan to sit down and watch both series again, back to back.

I should do the same. I really need to add NGE to my collection anyways. Thank you tax return.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 651 of 1062