• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:14 am Reply with quote
Lucky Star BD Complete BOX. Upscale leaves much to be desired. Audio is top notch. Been marathoning six episodes a night. Eff'n forgot how much I love this show.
Rakiko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote
All the episodes of Majokko Tickle in VO Japanese.
Why? Rihoko Yoshida of course ! I'm always interested by anything related to her. Anime smile She is so awesome. *______* the greatest seiyuu of all
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Watching remastered Utena box 1.

The aliasing is quite annoying in certain scenes. *sigh*
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, happened to me again. There I am, innocently watching an anime episode when suddenly I get figuratively punched in the gut with an example of cruelty to a character which comes out of the blue. Look, if I'm watching Elfen Lied, I expect gut-wrenching scenes ...

...from Ragnarok The Animation, not so much. I'm watching the seventh episode when they give us spoiler[Maaya's backstory. Maaya is a loli-looking character voiced by Luci Christian doing her "cute little girl" voice. Now Ragnarok is a perfectly nice little mediocre show that has given me ZERO indication so far that, behind its back, it is casually holding a plank with a nail driven through the end of it, ready to pounce. Maaya's backstory is that she was found on a deserted ship in a port town. She is an orphan with no friends. Finally, with the help of a cute little "monster" that looks like a gum drop, she makes a cart and tries to sell some apples in town. Some a-holes give her a hard time and bust up her cart. Then they drag her into an alley. Fortunately, nothing is depicted, but in the aftermath it is hard not to form the impression that this child character has been raped.]

You know what, writers? Eff you. How dare you pull that shit after going six eppies without even a hint that this is the kind of thing we might encounter.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Lotte's Toy - I'm done with this pile of shit.

When Naoyo stands there and makes a self-comment that Judit throws this "sucking" situation out of no where and has no anger against it, this is a problem for me.

It borderlines the same idiot-of-a-man Kodomo no Jikan possesses where we, the audience, are expected to believe these people, in charge of little girls, would take no action against blatant sexual contact whatsoever.

Remember my review of Mitsodomoe? Well, watch what happens when a father of 3 little girls takes no excuse to beat the shit out of a man who has his pants down standing before one of his daughters.

Now that's what I expect to see. Beat the shit out of them first, ask questions later.

Hanasaku Iroha - What... the... hell. Okay, perhaps this is a "twist in the plot", but I don't get it. Sure, Ohana has issues regarding the people around her, but it seems uncharacteristic for her to spoiler[go off on her mother] while spoiler[leaving Ko hanging]. Drama. One of these days, someone will get it right rather than pull shit like this out of the air. I'm not expecting a good ending now, that's for sure.

Gosick - Oooh, the story's getting pretty good now. With only a few episodes left, it's making me wonder if this will be a good closing season or we'll have to wait to see what happens. The tension sucks and this is one of the reasons I hate weekly shows. My fault, of course, as I could have waited, but nah... there's a goth loli on the cover. Can't walk away from that.

That's about all I did over my 3 day weekend. The rest of the time was spent playing Bioshock.

Cool
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't get Netflix to work last night so I had one of my friends choose between two anime for what I should watch next and funny enough he recognized one of the shows, Rideback, so I started that one and I'm enjoying it so far. The CGI isn't bothering me nearly as much as I thought it would and the action/racing scenes are fun. I'm rolling my eyes at the backstory (really, one terrorist group managed to take over the world, ie, take over nearly 200 different governments, keep their armies from throwing a coup, assuming they didn't take over all of them at the same time they also kept other countries from invading/kicking them out, and have managed to keep the populace complacent enough that they haven't rebelled, really?!?) so I'm a bit worried for later in the show but for the moment I'll just enjoy the ride.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
...from Ragnarok The Animation, not so much. I'm watching the seventh episode when they give us spoiler[Maaya's backstory. Maaya is a loli-looking character voiced by Luci Christian doing her "cute little girl" voice. Now Ragnarok is a perfectly nice little mediocre show that has given me ZERO indication so far that, behind its back, it is casually holding a plank with a nail driven through the end of it, ready to pounce. Maaya's backstory is that she was found on a deserted ship in a port town. She is an orphan with no friends. Finally, with the help of a cute little "monster" that looks like a gum drop, she makes a cart and tries to sell some apples in town. Some a-holes give her a hard time and bust up her cart. Then they drag her into an alley. Fortunately, nothing is depicted, but in the aftermath it is hard not to form the impression that this child character has been raped.]

You know what, writers? Eff you. How dare you pull that shit after going six eppies without even a hint that this is the kind of thing we might encounter.

I remember that being my exact reaction when I watched that show years ago. It hadn't done anything particularly interesting before that, but I was completely done with the show after that. I did finish the episode, and I recall there was an old man who said something to the effect of "that was probably a bad thing we did". Shit, even if [spoiler]they only beat her and didn't sexually assault her in any way, its still a bunch of grown man physically assaulting a pre-teen girl who had no idea she was even doing anything wrong.[spoiler]

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Lotte's Toy - I'm done with this pile of shit.

I would be if there weren't only 1 episode left, but for an entirely different reason.

So, it's pretty obvious they're trying to create a dramatic finale for the TV series, but the execution is so forced and sudden that it's beyond stupid. Naoya and Asuha, and all traces of their existance, are being erased from the demon world by the World Tree because some mumbo-jumbo about dimensional imbalance, and it's somehow related to why the human world was sealed off a millennium ago. There was no build up to this in previous episodes, and it makes no sense in universe, either, especially since spoiler[Asuha is the Queen's daughter, and presumably half succubus herself.] And of course it will be resolved by the end of the following (final) episode because none of the other characters are interesting enough to carry a whole episode without Naoya and Asuha; nor has Lotte had enough character growth to justify her no longer needing Naoya.

I mean, I knew this wasn't a good series, but this just made me angry.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Being bored last Saturday, despite being in the middle of an almost year long anime watching drought, I sat down and watched the first four episodes of Tiger and Bunny. I haven't watched a real superhero show since the nineties, and all the playful banter between all the characters piqued my interest. Going to want to definately finish it up soon.
Lefaron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:17 am Reply with quote
Oh god umm Tiger & Bunny, Monster, Deadman Wonderland, One Piece, Nana(i just really love that anime) and god knows how many more i just watch like the first 3-4 ep of each one if i like it i add it to my list and just finish it whenever
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne now holds the distinction of being the series that made me wince the most. And I'm generally okay with gore, but say, whatever happened in Deadman Wonderland and other series doesn't have the same impact. And by impact, I mean "where did sheOOOHH shi- *cringe* ouuchh"
Besides Nightmare Fuel done right, it is generally a good series. Likeable characters, voiced by excellent seiyuu; intriguing premise and plot (and by that I don't mean the lesbian sex), it's all there.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne now holds the distinction of being the series that made me wince the most. And I'm generally okay with gore, but say, whatever happened in Deadman Wonderland and other series doesn't have the same impact. And by impact, I mean "where did sheOOOHH shi- *cringe* ouuchh"
Besides Nightmare Fuel done right, it is generally a good series. Likeable characters, voiced by excellent seiyuu; intriguing premise and plot (and by that I don't mean the lesbian sex), it's all there.

My gf and I had much the same reaction. it did have some very interesting characters (I really liked Koki myself) and a relatively good plot. Plus the animation itself was pretty nice and I enjoyed a show not afraid to pull punches. At least i thought I did lol. Some of the more...."original" moments did make us both cringe and wince a bit. I will say while there was nudity and the lesbian element it didn't get in the way of the story we thought and actually was worked into it in a believable way. But yea....definitely some cringing moments.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
Watched several things this week.

First, Ga-Rei-Zero episodes 1-6, I'm really enjoying this show. The characters are nice and it's interesting to know Yomi's backstory after seeing episodes 1 and 2. However, episode 1 was such a tease. It wasn't what I expected. spoiler[The characters shown were pretty damn interesting but then they were killed. If I had to put my feelings into words, I would say I felt "trolled."] I can't wait to finish this up but I've been too lazy. I might even try to read the manga, Ga-Rei, but I heard it wasn't so good. Oh, and the bath and car scene, those were awesome. I'm also digging Yomi so that's the explanation for my current avatar.

Spice & Wolf, both seasons, was great as well. I enjoyed the show and I want more because it was really short. There were only two arcs each season which normally ran for about 6 episodes each. I learned some things about economics but I don't recall anything because I was too busy drooling at Holo's sexiness. Such a cute personality... God, I want more. That's what I can only say about the show. Lawrence and Holo's interaction really made the show fun and seeing their relationship develop was a nice watch as well. Although, I do have a few nitpicks. While I learned a few things about economics, the second season lacked teachings of economics. There was also less Holo wants apples in the second season as well. But, nonetheless, it was a fun show to watch.

Katte Ni Kaizou OVA, this was an interesting show. I recognized the art as something similar to Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei and thought that it might have been animated by SHAFT. After doing a little research, I found out it was indeed animated by SHAFT and it was a manga adaption. The manga artist/story-dood is actually the manga/story-dood of Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei. Anyways, this OVA was funny. I had great laughs from it and I actually want an actual anime of it. The comedic hijinks were enough to make have a great 24ish minutes of entertainment and didn't feel like a total waste of time. The randomness is similar to SZS as well, but I think the comedy in this one works better.

There was also the Amagami SS Short Animation which I watched and it's just basically extra scenes. They were quite funny and that's about it. I'm still feeling a rewatch for this show but I'm too lazy to do so.

Gah! I have too many animes to watch, I have several in my backlog that I've been too lazy to touch and just don't have the motivation to do so. I started on ef- A Tale of Memories and only got up to episode two. I need to finish the rest and torrent the second season. I'll end up taking my time too. I gotta finish watching the available streams that FUNI has before they expired too. I have loads of free time but I just lack inspiration to watch anything...
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:56 am Reply with quote
Been a few weeks since I last documented on what I was watching. I managed to burn through Shakugan no Shana (which I enjoyed viewing and look forward to seeing more in the future) and just finished True Tears today. After watching True Tears I was so annoyed that spoiler[Shinichiro chose Hiromi instead of Noe at the end of the series. Noe is so much cuter and livelier then cry baby/selfish Hiromi. I don't know but Hiromi just rubbed me the wrong way since she was first introduced in the series. Didn't help that she decided to be such a bitch to Noe.]

Here is what I am currently watching:

Blue Exorcist - It is official. I am hooked. This series is so awesome and I look forward to Crunchyroll releasing the next episode (just finished episode 10 a few minutes ago). I signed up for a membership so I can watch it in HD quality. Totally worth the monthly rate that they charge.

Clannad - I watched one episode of this long before it got licensed. I don't know why I didn't try to finish this series since I love everything by Key. I've been in the drama/romance mood lately so this will be perfect for me to watch.

Deadman Wonderland - Still loving this show. Man, I really really want to own this on DVD/Blu-ray.

Gosick - This was another series that I heard people talking about alot. When I found out that the character Victorique was like a female version of Sherlock Holmes I just had to check this series out (I am a huge Holmes fan). 6 episodes into this series so far and I am enjoying it. Look forward to seeing more.

One Piece - Still working on this series yet have been slowing down since I only got 3 discs left to watch. I hope FUNi will be getting more seasons, or at least release the missing 200 episodes on their website. T-T

I also have decided to stall on watching more [C] Control. The series wasn't grabbing me and so I'll wait on watching more.

Last edited by Rukiia on Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:45 am Reply with quote
I used to have a life. Now I have Kaiji (TV).

Well, okay. I never really had much of a life, but seriously, this show is massively addictive. (I'm talking about the old series, not the new one by the way). This weekend I watched the entire series in two nights. I don't think I've ever marathoned an entire series like that. Not even back when I first got into anime.

It's not even that it's the single greatest thing ever. It has some pretty major flaws. (Namely constant, stuffy, blathering narration that's also wildly unnecessary). It's just so gripping though that I can't stop watching. Every episode leaves you dying to watch another one.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
After watching True Tears I was so annoyed that spoiler[Shinichiro chose Harumi instead of Noe at the end of the series.]

This seems legendary, I keep hearing about this terrible ending. I guess I'll check it out when I want something to rage over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 596 of 1062