• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vox207

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
Well I just started Freezing which is pretty interesting. A little heavy of the fan serves but its all good. The characters are pretty interesting. I also recently watched pokemon Origins which was pretty good.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
I'm in the midst of watching High School DxD. Issei Hyoudou, a [seemingly] perverse student, was stabbed to death by a fallen angel who disguised herself as a schoolgirl. He was then reincarnated as a devil by Rias Gremory, a long red-haired schoolgirl who later reveals herself as a devil.

The first few episodes had some fanservice moments that occurred out of the blue, but they turned out to be funny in the end. This show has taught me that even devils have the potential to be your best allies. Smile

My Rating: 4.5/5 stars.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:41 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Episode 18,that is all I am going to say.

I.G already admitted that was a rush job, and fixed it in the blu-ray/dvds
Yuki Fenikkusu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I am watching SO may its hard to count but I just finished Kampfer because it was really interesting.

I LOVED Rosario + Vampire and Kokoro Connect!
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the first season of Clannad and it was enjoyable. I'm assuming that it is After Story that is the incredibly sad and amazing one, as Clannad was good but not that much different then many romantic comedies. I found this show quite funny, and loved Tomoya's sense of humor. What impressed me the most was that it didn't shy away from showing spoiler[Ryou's and Kyou's hearts break when they realized for sure they were in the loser's camp.] That hurt. And they weren't even my favorites (Fuko and Kotomi). Many (or perhaps most) harem shows don't even have a 'winner', but even when they do the losers tend to take on a 'I'll just have to work harder' attitude and they happily skip off. Clannad did not wimp out and do that. Being a loser in love is not fun.
Even though this was a lot more comedic then expected, I still enjoyed it. Looking forward to Clannad After Story, which I plan to start soon. Just trying to decide whether to watch the movie before or after; it seems like a recap (of at least the first season, but maybe both) so I'm leaning toward after.
Pacal II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
The movie is actually an alternative version to both seasons, and I heard it's not that great. So I suggest just watching After Story. It's great by the way! And yes, it is much sadder.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Pacal II wrote:
The movie is actually an alternative version to both seasons
Didn't know that, thanks! So I'm guessing it's something like the Tomoyo OVA. Even if it isn't that great I'll probably watch it anyway since I'm a completionist.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
the Movie alternates between recapping season 1 and 2 up to a major character death in AF and showing what Tomoya did during the 5 year time skip in After Story, and what his friends did to help him. has a very different ending from After Story. Kotomi, Ryo and Fuko are cut out, Kyo and Tomoyo have a minor presence

basically its the like the Air movie in which if focuses solely on the main heroine
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
the Movie alternates between recapping season 1 and 2 up to a major character death in AF and showing what Tomoya did during the 5 year time skip in After Story, and what his friends did to help him. has a very different ending from After Story. Kotomi, Ryo and Fuko are cut out, Kyo and Tomoyo have a minor presence

The Toei movie is a simplified adaptation {just the Nagisa plot, naturally} of the Clannad visual novel and has nothing to do with the Kyoto Animation TV series. It's certainly the lesser work but it's also the best of the Toei's Key adaptations; I can recommend the movie for the simple fact it's not as unfocused as the TV series.

Also, there's one thing the movie does right that the TV series screwed up with, placing characters in relation to Tomoya. You have to wonder at some point in the TV series, especially After Story, "Where did everybody go?"

It's essential for the drama in that adaptation but makes no sense in "real life". spoiler["Nagisa died while giving birth to a baby girl? Tomoya's a wreck of a human being? Well, sucks to be them. Now what was I doing again?"]

Clannad means Family and that apparently doesn't include close friends. Though it kind of it felt like it at first, didn't it?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
well, now that Madoka Magica is airing on Neon Alley, I figure it's time to watching this show.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
On CR I am watching a few of the new releases being streamed, might drop a few after episode two.

will have to wait and see.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Thanks getchman and Animegomaniac for the info on the movie. It sounds like it would've been a bad decision to watch it before After Story (which I'm on ep 12 of now). I am liking Nagisa a lot more. In the first season alone, I thought she was cute but rather generic. Her having almost no initiative made her come across as flat, but so far in the second season she has had quite a few opportunities to show her character in subtle ways.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
You're at the point, Tris8, where After Story starts to transcend its genre limitations. Enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CarnivalCorpse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote
Currently watching Trigun with every episode I seem to be rooting more and more for Vash and co and actually sympathise with him, all he wants is a life of peace and wherever he goes trouble follows. Even with the slightly dated animation this anime will surely hold the test of time! Excited to see the outcome!
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
For now I decided to say bye bye to Coppelion. The animation was not enough to save it for me and I picked up From the New World instead. Quite an all right beginning but made it to episode 5 and 6 and my feelings were ... well, as some of my younger cousins would sum it up: 'lol'.
Random cuts, plot a bit random as well, I am not quite sure if it was meant to make sense. Characters are in one place, but in the cut in another, and then like if teleported they find themselves somewhere else, and then they decide to change their plans and go back, etc. The logic of it all escapes me. I can't really take it seriously, but hoping it will get better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 785 of 1062