• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
The first few episodes of Waiting In the Summer yield the following excellent quotation:
Quote:
Since she's a girl, she'll be able to cook and do the laundry.

Oh, anime. Sometimes you're like some incorrigible elderly relation. We love you to bits, but we have to giggle about you behind your back.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
I've been meaning to watch Blue Drop for a while and finally got around to it earlier today. I ended up loving the series so much I watched it all in pretty much one go(stopping only for necessities and to read comment threads). While there are a good number of questions unanswered(like why did spoiler[Hagino try to strangle Mari] and exactly how did spoiler[her sacrifice save humanity]), but overall it's still a great series that was well worth the time(even if the ending spoiler[had me fighting those damn onions]). Still not going to be a huge fan of spoiler[tragedies] any time soon, though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
Just bought Is This a Zombie?, and checking out the dub. I found it to be very funny. Having seen the second season I thought I might try to pay attention to spoiler[Ayumu's teacher, which has the big reveal in season 2.]

I also got a pack that contains volumes 5 to 8 of Hellsing Ultimate, I already own all the manga so I am looking forward to watching it. Of note, it is actually my R(18+) title that I own, I did not even notice until I bought it which I would have expected that I should have been embarassed or something.

Zombies, blood, and vampires are on the menu of my DVD viewing. Maybe I should include crossdressing too, there is that one character in Hellsing.
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:07 am Reply with quote
Just trying out a free month of Hulu Plus, and FINALLY catching up with what the heck everyone else has been talking about for two years. Confused
(Since I usually frequent Netflix, can't afford Crunchyroll on top of that, and haven't seen anything new/interesting since Fruits Basket.)

I'm just into days 3-5 of trying the first episode of at least one new "oh, so that's the one they're talking about!" title every night till the second week in April:
So far, I've gotten through
- Fairy Tail: Good humor, but it's got the whiff of "Shounen fight serial" about it. I'll give it a few more, but if it starts getting all One Piece on me, I'm outta here.
- Persona 4: Yes, I'm a core Persona-game addict, and I'd played P4 on PS2 a few years ago, so I know the story. The series doesn't seem to be much more than a 26-episode explanation of the game story, but it's a good story...Just that the one problem I have with game anime of games I've already played, like Valkyria Chronicles, is that the music is now ingrained on my subconscious, from repeated frustration, and when they start every episode with the Velvet Room music, my first reaction is "What is that, that sounds famil...Aah! Get out of my head!"
- Bodacious Space Pirates: I'll admit I was avoiding this one because the title sounded like bad English-dubbed hentai. But dang, this's good. Cool One episode in and already feels like Outlaw Star for girls, all the stuff I've been missing since the 90's.
- Pet Girl of Sakurasou: Yes, I get that it's supposed to be a more cynical "Haruhi meets Maison Ikkoku", with a frustrated hero, shy trophy-girl, and loony neighbors. Problem is, half an episode in, and although we'll probably get the reveal that their fringy genius anime/tech careers are cooler than so-called normal people's, that still doesn't excuse these neighbors being stark raving bats**t LUNATICS. It would be nice if the Kyoko-equivalent girl made up for everything else being so over the top, but I'm only at the commercial break of Ep. 1, and her "sweetness" is already coming off a little creepy. Shocked

Anyway, that's as much as I know so far--
Since recommendation threads are Verboten, I'm just going in blind on genre, how much/little fanservice is in the description (preferably little), and what titles get the most thread traffic here.
Four down, not sure where on the list to go next--From the New World? Little Busters? Certain Magical Index?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
Okay, so I watched Hellsing Ultimate volumes V-VIII. Man love Hellsing, the violance, the vampires, Alucard, Anderson, and Seras. Seras especially as in volume 7 we see the past that left scarrs on her heart, and she goes from the young lady afraid of loseing her humanity, into spoiler[a true vampire that grinds the Zorin Blitz along the wall and fight with full confidence].

There was a lot of CG used in these OVAs, at times this could be used to a rather pretty effect, for example there were some gorgeous explosions. Although some place it became more obvious and increasingly jarring, the worst was when they used it to animate people, it just did not work. Hearing the dubbed voices again was great, Crispin Freeman's voice has to be among my favourite in anime, there was a nice touch done where he spoiler[put an accent on when he reverted to his Vlad the Impaler form.] Although I it felt like here were some consistancy issues with some of the voices where accents did not sound right at times, although I still enjoyed lots of the different accents used. Melenium's German, Pip's French, Seras' English, and whatever characters like Anderson and Yumie had.

This series just has so much style, brutality, and strangely heart, that I just keep comming back, where else can I laugh at a guy getting his face litteraly bitten off. I think that I plan on checking out the special features later as the discs also contain commentaries and various other talks. I did check out what seems to be the first par of The Dawn, which sadly was un-dubbed, I have not read the corresponding manga so I was interested, although it was far too short with not much more than kid Walter with a lot of attitude.

I could continue writing about what I saw, but I will finish by saying that I eagerly await for the last two to be dubbed and released out here. So want to see Alucard's most interesting form, and see the Captain fight.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Finished S-CRY-ed, think I kinda get the title now (though I totally asked the internet, lol). I enjoyed it, but I honestly cannot name a more pointless final episode in existence. It felt like it ended at 25 anyway and 26 was just there to show off animation or something, it's not like resolved that one particular question (and it was obvious it wouldn't even before it started), thus ending at 25 would've been perfectly fine. 26 doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, fortunately, it's just really really pointless.
For the rest of it, I enjoyed it well enough. Not as much as other series that have aired on [adult swim] in the past (like Blue Gender or FMA 2003, and I'm always up for buying/watching something that had once aired on Toonami or earlier [adult swim] because they are usually scifi or action), but I did enjoy watching it. But one major weakness is that it's not a series where the characters are really supposed to undergo development in any way. Kazuma changes approximately never, I think Ryuho is the only one who really changes. Few characters have backstories either. It's a fun series with lots of fun super powers (if I had to take one, I'd probably take Urizane's "anything as long as it involves watermelons" because he seems broken if he's so much as holding a watermelon, though I'd pick something lighter weight like green peppers or something), and an interesting plot that held my attention until ep 26, but it is lacking that "X factor" to be an instant classic for me, if that makes sense. But for people wanting action series with funny/awesome super powers, it's really difficult to go wrong here. I'd give it 7 out of 10 hot pink hot rods. I also liked how certain parts of it reminded me of Digimon or Persona since a lot of the alter powers manifested as another physical object (also, it had like half the voice cast for Digimon 1-3 somewhere in it, even Joe), so I clearly just like the 'mon concept wherein you only get 1 mon. And Straight Cougar was still awesome, definitely my favorite character!
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
^
If you think of the last episode as akin to a fanservice OVA then it becomes a lot easier to accept. Of course, the fanservice present is not T&A but rather spoiler[fighting and whatnot. The two heroes had wanted to slug it out for a while now, and now that the big bad was out of the way they could fight one another at their maximum power. I have to say, it was kind of cool to watch them duke it out.]
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently watching Fairy Tail. So far, I'm enjoying it quite well. Smile The magic powers of the Fairy Tail group are really impressive, the battles are quite thrilling, and the villains are intimidating to boot. In addition to that, those non-serious moments right in between are a real blast to chuckle through.
clawfinger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Last episode of Initial D: Second Stage. I watched the first stage a long time ago and always liked the focus on cars. Must say I wish they'd get more interesting cars and getting a little bored of Takumi being so unbeatable.

I hear that the next two stages are a lot better so I look forward to them.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I have just watched King of Thorn, and even though it wasn't perfect I enjoyed it a goodish amount. I certainly don't understand the Shelf Life rubbishing it got.

It does have too many ideas, but better too many than too few, perhaps. And I didn't find that the varied meanings being thrown around turned the thing into a confused mess. (Like many anime) it's thematically about embracing rather than fleeing life, isn't it? And the Medusa virus is just a metaphor for mortality, isn't it? So a metaphorical profusion and confusion is sort of appropriate, really.

My one real objection to the film was that I didn't care about any of the characters.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
Fang of the Sun Dougram, I'm 11 eps in, but I think this one is shaping up to be my favorite Ryosuke Takahashi series yet! I was left disappointed with Panzer World Galient, and I'm halfway through Intrigue in the Bakumatsu and it is so damn confusing, but those are the only two I can honestly say let me down of his series thus far. This series was made before VOTOMs started, but was probably well into planning before Gundam 0079 finished, so I think it took the politics without taking Amuro's whininess, so I am quite enjoying the main characters. The first ep shows them pulling off some mission, then ep 2 jumps back to the chronological beginning of the story and goes from there. But the odd thing thus far is that having a mecha isn't quite as magically auto-win as it is in other series. It's impractical and unwieldy and needs to be transported on a carrier much of the time. So ground combat actually matters a lot more than you might think. Also, Crinn is not freakishly gifted in piloting a robot (unlike Amuro Ray, or Chirico in Takahashi's next series VOTOMs), he just has basic training whereas the other guerilla members do not. So it's more realistic in that way. So far it's been really exciting and engaging and I'm so glad I dropped Panzer World Galient, which had the blandest main ever (Ryosuke Takahashi should not attempt shows aimed only at kids ever again) because the Fang of the Sun guerilla troop seems like they're only going to get more interesting from here on out. It's 75 eps long, which is a bit daunting, but now that I'm into it, I'm getting the Legend of the Galactic Heroes effect where I fear 75 eps may be too short (110 was certainly too short for LoGH), and I expect the other 64 eps to go by all too fast. It's definitely a classic of the 80s mecha genre and I wish more people would know/talk about it.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I finished Fantastic Children. What a great show. As I was told (and didn't get at once) the reincarnation plot becomes very powerful, in a way that does remind one of Please Save My Earth. The weight of that eternal recurrence, in which joy from previous lives is only lived as nostalgic pain, and the only thing that survives rebirth unaltered is guilt... it all made me feel rather glad I don't believe in reincarnation. Until the lovely ending. A very emotional and satisfying journey, all in all.

If I did such things as rate anime, I'd be very tempted to give the show a "Masterpiece" rating, except for the plot development in the second half. I was not a fan of the way the present-time plot was put on hold for the narrating of the past-life events spoiler[on the planet Greecia, (i.e. Helga's flashback)]. The show had opened so mysteriously, raising so many questions, full of hints and glimpses. And then the whole backstory was presented, giving all the answers pretty much as straightforwardly as possible. I don't know how else they could have managed it — specifically I don't know how they could have managed it that would set up the final revelations of Thoma and Helga's fate so well — but while I was watching those specific central episodes, I did miss the mysteriousness I had grown to love in the storytelling.

Ripping show, though.

I also made myself finish Corpse Princess to the bitter end. The only thing I really respected about that show in the end was the way there was spoiler[no conclusion whatsoever. None of the terrifying problems were solved.] That's sort of like life, I thought. Smile
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
@ailblentyn
Glad you liked Fantastic Children! Also glad you got the Please Save My Earth similarities, though they definitely aren't obvious at first.
I personally didn't mind the show being put on hold for the past related episodes, I think they picked a good enough time to do it, but I don't necessarily think that doing it in little random spurts would've helped either. Actually, since Thoma spoiler[gets his memories back all at once, perhaps that was what it would've been like for him, thus they made it like that for the audience]? But yeah, it is a definite pause, so to say, though they are good episodes.
Also, did you see the 6 minute extended epilogue? Pretty sure it was on DVD 6, but it's also on youtube. I quite enjoyed this short segment too, just giving more closure on some of the other characters.

Oh but if I had to say one thing terrible about this show, it would be the dub. It was outsourced and damn does it show. If anyone decides to pursue this show after hearing praise about it, for the love of Celestia, do not watch this dubbed!
jal90

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Right now I'm following One Piece. I got to episode 578 yesterday, finishing the latest filler mini-arc (which was pretty bad). Reasons? Well, I just got addicted to the series I guess. The latest arcs have been a little bit subpar (at least in anime version) icompared with what made me grew a huge fanboyism, but overall I still watch it for the characters, who I've grown really fond of, the storyline, which still keeps my interest as strong as always, and the mood of adventure and discovery this series usually brings.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Fang of the Sun Dougram, I'm 11 eps in, but I think this one is shaping up to be my favorite Ryosuke Takahashi series yet! I was left disappointed with Panzer World Galient, and I'm halfway through Intrigue in the Bakumatsu and it is so damn confusing, but those are the only two I can honestly say let me down of his series thus far. This series was made before VOTOMs started, but was probably well into planning before Gundam 0079 finished, so I think it took the politics without taking Amuro's whininess, so I am quite enjoying the main characters. The first ep shows them pulling off some mission, then ep 2 jumps back to the chronological beginning of the story and goes from there. But the odd thing thus far is that having a mecha isn't quite as magically auto-win as it is in other series. It's impractical and unwieldy and needs to be transported on a carrier much of the time. So ground combat actually matters a lot more than you might think. Also, Crinn is not freakishly gifted in piloting a robot (unlike Amuro Ray, or Chirico in Takahashi's next series VOTOMs), he just has basic training whereas the other guerilla members do not. So it's more realistic in that way. So far it's been really exciting and engaging and I'm so glad I dropped Panzer World Galient, which had the blandest main ever (Ryosuke Takahashi should not attempt shows aimed only at kids ever again) because the Fang of the Sun guerilla troop seems like they're only going to get more interesting from here on out. It's 75 eps long, which is a bit daunting, but now that I'm into it, I'm getting the Legend of the Galactic Heroes effect where I fear 75 eps may be too short (110 was certainly too short for LoGH), and I expect the other 64 eps to go by all too fast. It's definitely a classic of the 80s mecha genre and I wish more people would know/talk about it.

I watched Dougram raw about two years ago. Sadly, I don't think this series will ever a get a subtitled release.

Dougram is the first anime show that I had ever built models from, as the kits were released here in the US under Revell's Robotech line during the early 80s.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 756 of 1062