• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
Watched Cencoroll and Wandering Son.

Cencoroll - Very original and intriguing. The only problem is that it feels very much like a pilot episode and I would gladly watch more of it, but since it was made in 2009 I'm afraid that that's all there is which is a shame. But you know what, it's only half an hour long and I enjoyed every minute of it, so it's only a very minor problem.

Wandering Son - This is one my favourites. I've loved it ever since I watched the first episode (still waiting for some company to license this dammit Mad). The animation is gorgeous, it's very touching and almost all of the characters are trying to figure out who they are. I've seen a lot of anime, but I've never seen anything that can compare to this. It's also one of the first shows that I've seen that deals with cross-dressing in a mature way.

Also watched a couple of episodes of Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East and Sasami-san@Ganbaranai before dropping them.

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East - So incredibly boring. I didn't care about any of the characters at all. Seriously, don't even bother watching this.

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai - I had no idea what the hell was even going on most of the time. By the time that they got round to the explanations, I had stopped caring sadly enough. The only thing that I liked about Sasami-san was the animation.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Honey & Clover for a while now, and will probably finish it later today (just have a couple episodes of the second season left). Honestly, I found it kind of boring at first. Then everyone started getting caught up in love triangles, which was slightly more interesting but also sometimes annoying (like, OK, how many scenes do we need of characters pining for their unrequited love?) But it also has a number of fun comedic sequences, so I'm still enjoying it, even if I'm not totally on board with everything that's going on.

Also, though I became a fan of anime in the 90s, there are still a number of well-known older series that I haven't seen yet, so I'm gradually watching older anime. Two that I started recently are Crying Freeman and Cutey Honey. Interestingly, both involve the main characters getting naked a lot Laughing For some reason, Freeman often strips down before he fights (to show off his sweet-ass full body dragon tat?), and Go Nagai thoughtfully has Honey go through at least three nude transformation sequences each episode (each newly animated, at that...no stock footage nudity here!). Weirdly, a number of the villains from Cutey Honey look like they wandered in from Fist of the North Star...

Of the two, I'm enjoying Crying Freeman more. Seeing all that good ol' fashioned sex and violence just gives me the nostalgic feeling of, "Ah, THIS is anime!"
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Been watching a few things lately. Seems I'm currently on anime instead of manga!

Blassreiter 18/24 eps
I haven't quite finished it, but I'm finding myself quite enjoying this. It's an action series and damn if it doesn't know it, but I am finding myself caring for the characters, which makes the action more interesting. As for the action itself, it will almost certainly depend on how much you hate CGI and especially CGI not trying to blend in. But to its credit, I have looked at some scenes and went "I don't know if this could be done in traditional animation very easily if at all". I got used to the CGI a lot quicker than I did for other Gonzo shows where it's a more obvious sore thumb, possibly because it's trying to blend in.

Super Dimensional Century Orguss 35/35
I finished it! Man, the ending just kinda fell flat on its face, and I don't like really vague endings either. Before that...well it was a fun adventure with a likable cast and some really weird familial relations caused by screwing around with time and space.
Oh but I noticed something fun about it in relation to its sister series, Macross and Southern Cross. In Southern Cross, the aliens are all in triplicate. In Orguss, all Emaan females appear to be born as twins. And no twins or whatever in Macross.
Speaking of Macross, it's other distant sister series via Robotech is Genesis Climber Mospeada, and that's actually the series this reminds me more of, lots of traveling lots of fighting. Though I can see why Mospeada was chosen, I can't think of any way Orguss could've been rewritten to appear to be part of a larger franchise, and there is the whole several sex scenes thing and cutting out the first one would cause logic issues. Also, there are friendly aliens not from outer space, that might be hard to explain.

Time of Eve movie
I enjoyed it, but adding some sinister stuff at the end I think hurt it more than helped it. It was already doing awesome as a slice of life, it can just stay there. I did enjoy it, yes, but for me, it's just missing that special X factor to make it an instant classic for me.
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Last Exile
My first re-watch. This puppy has held up beautifully, and I enjoyed it much more this time around. I'm still not a fan of the end; spoiler[hey, we're mostly all okay and living together (maybe!)] Just a tad too spoiler[sugary] for my taste. Otherwise, the characterization that I once perceived as being shallow proved itself to be much more. New rating: Excellent.

Cowboy Bebop
I'm not sure what number re-watch this is, but I'm sure it's higher than five. I could say that my experience will differ, but it probably won't. Masterpiece, and always will be.
Gillis19

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:20 am Reply with quote
Full Metal Panic
Just finished the first season. going to finish the next two seasons. Made it my objective to watch all animes I start to the end even though I really want to start watching the other shows I have on my line up. Kinda dumb after i completely regretted watching school days >.> Scarred for life.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
Higurashi - When they Cry has been the most recent in my series of anime watching. Recommended to me by a fellow forum poster (though i can't remember ho that is off the top of my head, if they see this post, remind me, I want to thank you for the recommendation) for some reason. Can't think of why this was brought up, but either way, this show has really got my attention. The review on this site for the show points out that with the art style and then the way the show starts, it borders dangerously as some moe/chibi harem comedy. But like the art style, it's all very misleading and quickly becomes something else. I'm not easily scared as an adult anymore, but Japanese horror stuff usually gets me and this has definitely scared me more than once. Shoot, almost fell of my chair at the end of one episode yelling and cursing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Finished Gundam X, rated it as Very Good.

A bit too Super Robot for my tastes, but this is still one good series. Gundam X is easily as good as SEED and probably better, and it's a crying shame that it got cancelled. Even so, the production staff wrapped it up surprisingly well and gave it a fitting (if understandably hurried) ending. I really liked the characters and the themes, and in fact the entire show was better-written (by a country mile) than anything Tomino has ever put out.

I definitely recommend it to Mecha fans. Please watch it.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
A few things I've been watching lately:

Princess Tutu: After hearing all the praise I decided to check it out for myself. Very well-constructed and entertaining. I could never shake the feeling that I was a grown man watching a show made for little girls but I still enjoyed it. Oh, and I love me some Mr. Cat. I'd rate it as Excellent. It's as close to a Masterpiece as you can get.

5 Centimeters per Second: This show is beautiful and I was touched at times, but by the end I was left wanting more. I guess I was looking for a more definitive ending. Still, I was swept up into the world, so this gets a Very Good from me.

Grave of the Fireflies: I unintentionally read what happens in the story before seeing this movie, and I still almost cried. I don't cry during movies at all, so that's saying something. I loved how matter-of-fact the story was, and I found myself understanding the main character (whose name escapes me at the moment). This here is a Masterpiece, though I have no desire to watch this movie again withtn the next 5 years.

Next up: Green Green!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Okay, it has been a week since my return to anime, and I have managed to catch up quite well, not that I managed to catch up despite my free time and some knew episodes of shows I caught up on have come out in the mean time.

In my week of catching up I have watched a total of 115 episodes:
5 episodes of Ixion saga
5 episodes of Little Busters
6 episodes of Fairy Tail
5 episodes of Blast of the
5 episodes of From the New World
5 episodes of Robotics;Notes
4 episodes of Psycho Pass
5 episodes of Sakurasou Pet
4 episodes of Magi
6 episodes of AKB0048 Next Stage
5 episodes of Cuticle Detecive
6 episodes of Ore no Kanojo
5 episodes of Maoyuu
6 episodes of Vividred Operation
5 episodes of Sasami-san@Unmotivates
5 episodes of Mondaji-tachi
5 episodes of Haganai NEXT
6 episodes of Kotoura-san
5 episodes of GJ-bu
6 episodes of Tamako Market
5 episodes of Senran Kagura
6 episodes of Love Live!

I have had a real blast with a lot of these series, despite watching in quick sucession I rarely got bored and laughed at a great deal. I have planned to choose a new avatar from a current airing show, but I kept finding what I wanted to changed after watching different series.

Yeah the lots to watch if you decide to stop watching for a while and try to catch up, but the only series I have left to catch up on now are *checks list*: Amnesia, Hakkenden: Touhou, Minami-ke Tadaima, and various short episode series or OVAs. Next to watch is Amnesia, I do not hold out much hope on it from watching the first episode, but who knows, it might surprise me.

For a bit of fun I think I might do a little statistics, it can be used by psychiatrists to tell me I have a problem with viewing japanese animation: if I average the episodes about 22 minutes each, the week passed I watched a total of 2530 minutes of new anime, which is 42.17 hours. This a total of 25% of my time watching anime, which averages out more to 37.65% of my time spent awake.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I just finished rewatching Clannad: After Story. It's been a few years since I've seen it, and the second set was next in line on my DVD queue, so in it went. It still is quite able to get the waterworks flowing for me. There's no doubt in my mind that it deserves its high rank in the top 10 list. Also, it wasn't a complete rewatch. For the first time, I watched Kyou's arc. I watched Clannad as it came out in fansubs back in the day, and I remember hearing that Kyou's arc was going to come out, but I just plain forgot to keep looking for it. So, it was a pleasant surprise to see it on the disc. If I weren't so devoted to Nagisa, I could see me wishing that route had actually happened.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Recently I saw Akira and....I didn't really get what the big deal about this flick was. Ok maybe thats too harsh, I did enjoy it, but it felt like something massive flew over my head to prevent me from seeing it as that masterpiece some viewers see it as. It was fun but I don't see it as such a film, so I'm gonna read the manga.

I also checked out two slice of life shows, first one being the famous Azumanga Daioh which since it was a show that many have claimed is the reason why stuff like Nichijou exists (which I liked) I had my expectations high...I did find it funny, but it can also be hit or miss for me, and when it misses it feels like I was dropped off in the middle of antartica. with that in mind I lowered my expectations quite a bit so I hope the episodes (or manga if I decide to get the omnibus and get the whole series) after my first 5 episode look are better. (after a 5 episode viewing of Black Lagoon)

The other slice of life show I saw was Minami-ke and I like it sofar. Its not over the top as I usually like my comedy, however it has a nice middle ground similar to that of Working!! which I like.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Imperialkat wrote:
Princess Tutu: After hearing all the praise I decided to check it out for myself. Very well-constructed and entertaining. I could never shake the feeling that I was a grown man watching a show made for little girls but I still enjoyed it. Oh, and I love me some Mr. Cat. I'd rate it as Excellent. It's as close to a Masterpiece as you can get.
I was also inspired to watch Princess Tutu by this forum. I'm glad it clicked. I also love Mr. Cat, and love the part at the end where spoiler[you see he has started a family. Finally got married!]
Imperialkat wrote:
Next up: Green Green!
Neutral Sad
supercreep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
Usagi Drop
I feel oddly ill-equipped to rate this, as if I either don't deserve to, or I'm not informed enough to do so. It's an odd feeling. The series could have benefited from a few more episodes, as I feel that it's stuffed with half-finished plot points. It's an endearing journey, and I'm glad that I experienced it. In telling a delightful tale about the bond between a child and an adult, I thought that it did an admirable job. As a whole, however, I don't think it succeeds as a truly excellent series. I felt more like I was watching a snap-shot of something, and there was just too much left out of frame.
Very Good.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
^
I thought Usagi Drop had a very good "life goes on" ending. The themes had already been utilised and expounded upon, the aesops had already been delivered, and the characters' arcs had already - by and large - finished. A year had passed, the show had come full circle thematically, and the characters were ready for the next challenges.

You weren't watching a snapshot of something but rather a complete journey. Daikichi had learned how to be a good parent and find a reason to exist, and Rin had finally settled herself into her loving new home after the trauma of the death and funeral. Both had found love and happiness in one another. What did you want, us to follow their lives until both of them were dead? Not necessary my friend, not necessary.

The show wrapped up fine.
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
^
I agree. I thought it wrapped up really well. The show has a weird structure--it starts with all the drama up front, and gets more normal as it goes on, just as having Rin around gets more and more natural for Daikichi. Maybe it wouldn't work for some people, but it felt really natural to me.

One of the last lines in the show really stuck with me, and I think it ends the series on a perfect note. It's when Rin loses her second tooth, and Daikichi thinks:
"I bet I'll still keep getting nervous and worked up over minor stuff from here on out...Even so, it seems like that smile will be my happiness from now on."

Also, I'm sure you've heard this, supercreep, but you definitely DO NOT want this show to get more episodes. No, no, no, no, no xD Just trust me on this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 752 of 1062