• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:38 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
I've just started watching Black Lagoon - 3 episodes in - and I am already in love. I was surprised as the show had me laughing out load so much, pretty much from the get go.

Fun show, just don't take it too seriously. But that's mostly about the second season so you're safe. For now.

Another Funimation show that missed my list somehow: Black Cat. I'm halfway through the series and I really, really hate Train Heartnet. Is that normal?

Eve, Sven and even Rinslet are fine, I'm ok with the villains, partial villains, sort of villains, almost villains and basic scum {And why so many villains? Were they having a sale?} but Train's on a completely different level.

Or so they say. Constantly. Oh, the things he can do or the things they have him do or the things that just happen around him because he's the main character, a Chronos Number, the Black Cat, the number Thirteen. He's trained, he's special, he's got a special gun, he can shot bullets in the air with the special gun because he specially trained with it and did I mention he's special? Raw talent combined with a massive amount of training and he's got a good, special gun.

Did I mention the superhuman reflexes and senses yet? He doesn't have them {right?}, he just uses ... them...

I know this is Shonen Jump but there has to be an upper limit to this kind of crap. I'm still waiting for him to turn into a real ninja, it'd make as much sense. A ninja with a gun, why not? That's what he is, anyway.

Still, I love Eve and Sven and I'll continue because of them. But they should have gotten their own show. Or Sven should have turned up in Tu-Lov-Ru.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
^^^ haha don't worry I stopped taking it seriously when they spoiler[used the beaches ship as a ramp and destroyed the helicopter with the torpedo Laughing ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
I'm halfway through Mugen no Ryvius but I don't really know what to make of it. The cover art was impressive, and it has a generally good rep but I'm both under and overwhelmed by it -underwhelmed because I find it just frustratingly boring and uncompelling, and overwhelmed because there's just too much shit going on.

So there's this spaceship full of astronaut students. A group of them that, from what I gather, are some sort of elite students, start performing a test maneuver, but something goes wrong and the spaceship starts to collapse into "destructive space matter" -we later learn this was a sabotage from some master evil organization-. All the teachers in the ship sacrifice themselves to slow the collapsing and allow the students to transfer to another spaceship.

From them onwards, our crew of insanely bland characters starts suffering one crisis after another -mostly, they get constantly attacked from the outside, but there are also a few attempts at sabotaging and taking over the ship-, and always they get saved by some magical property of the ship that deviates missiles and enemy attacks. There's this misterious ghostly girl wrapped in weird pink plastic-y stuff that seems to be related to the will of the ship -but came to the ship along with the students, as opposed to being originally there-, but nobody can see her and we literally have no idea of who she is or what all her cryptic dialogues mean.

My main problem is that the series never seems to stop and explain what the heck is going on. I'm already at episode 14 and I haven't the remotest idea of what on earth is happening. If not for the semi-recap episode (I think it was 11 or 12) in which we receive a brief summary explaining the hot mess that the first few episodes are, I wouldn't have a clue as to why anything is happening.

Furthermore, the fact that the characters are on the brink of death by missile/space battle at least thrice per episode makes me stop caring. Episode 14 has the spaceship being on the verge of destruction by crashing with an enemy ship FOUR TIMES. I can't get invested in these characters and their strife for survival if everyone's about to die once every five minutes; the dangers are essentially trivialized and have become boring. Also, with all the "battles" going on all the time, most of the dialogue is brainless technobabble and people screaming. It's annoying to say the least and I feel that the story isn't moving an inch.

It doesn't help that the evil organization that's constantly attacking the protagonists is completely faceless/nameless. All we see is these big spaceships shooting missiles at the Ryvius, missing, gettint destroyed by mecha, rinse and repeat. Ocassionaly we hear Norio Wakamoto (whose voice is unconfoundable even if he's not rolling crazy "rrrr"'s) screaming techno babble (apparently his mission is to sink the Ryvius) but it's not even remotely clear who these people are and why they think this thig is so dangerous.

Finally, the characters themselves aren't interesting. The show is so busy with putting these characters in mortal danger every minute, there's no time left for relationships and development to be had. There are a few things here and there -the protagonist is kind of inserted in a weird love polygon, and he has an awful relationship with his brother.- but neither are particularly explored upon because well, everyone's in mortal danger all the freaking time.

I'm not going to drop it now that I'm more than halfway through, but I'm losing hope of seeing all these problems somehow fixed
thegoanna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
Well most recent watch was "Letter to Momo" Waited ages for the DVD but was worth the wait I think. 200 Minutes long as a movie, and it really needed it to tell the good tale. I enjoyed it and will re-watch soon to find the bits I missed first time Smile. So an average plot, average story, but well done.

Natsume Uuchinchou, all episodes from DVD, lots of viewing here, and enjoyed it all, however last episode was a bit of a let down, still how do to finish a show like this? Will watch again in time.

Watched Captain Harlock to the end, Reasonable show, lots of action, may not watch again though, Seen once is enough.

Near the end of Madlax, one disk to go, So far so good.

Starting to watch Yuyushiki, on a stream site, so far OK, may yet get DVD. Light hearted and easy going, Slice of life, k-on/Lucky Star ish.

2 Disks of Berserk to go, again so far so good, twisty plot, interesting characters, enjoying it. See what happens next Smile

Finished Coyote Ragtime Show, was fun, last eps a bit rushed to finish story, but ending was adequate. Need to re-watch again
to pickup on story in various places.

Re watched Children who Chase lost Voices, So filled some gaps, still good show, good watch.

Other re watches: Aria (all) Yumeiro Patisserie (all), Bodacious Space Pirates, The Third, Ouran Host Club (live), From top of Poppy Hill, English version,

Will next revisit Daphne in the Deep Blue and Soul Eater maybe. Smile

Cheers all.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote
After spending some time enjoying a rewatch of Ef: a Tale of Memories, I decided it was time to break out Ef: a Tale of Melodies to watch the dub or the show in the first place, I forget which.

Oh yeah, I had to force myself through Melodies one snail paced episode at a time. You know, having spoiler[Yuu and Yuko appear together at the end of the first series clearly in her town, if she can't leave her town, if she can disappear at will], as the stuff you set up even before you get to their actual relationship in the second season, that's not going to be much of a reveal or a relationship.

As for the other relationship, I have no idea if I should have an opinion on it or not; "Good for them"? "Well, at least it's not the sickest relationship here."? "It's a relationship based on ... something. I'm not sure what it is but I'm sure there's something."?

Well, there's Nagi, I love Nagi. Of course, no one in the series spoiler[lovers her and even having Kuze try a lame "I liked her but she liked you" comeback after using her as a faked fiancée just makes everything so much more cruel. "I liked her enough to use her, a 25 year old woman, to fend off the advances of a middle schooler".] Well, he didn't say that, he merely did it.

But even with all that, I was still moving enough through the series until I got to episode 8, the one where Yuu loses an moral argument about the quality of love against spoiler[a man who regularly tortures and rapes his adopted sister.] No, he doesn't lose it, he falls for it, I guess. Or ... I don't know. How messed up do you have to be to even consider "Well, maybe he, spoiler[the monster of a human being] has a point about my feelings and knows what real love is?"?

As for the dub, it's a great example why women are cast as young boys 99% of the time. Still, the show has more problems than the dub.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I just finished yesterday re-watching season 1 and 2 of The World God Only Knows, this time watching it dubbed. First off I have to praise Elsie's voice actress, Luci Christian perfectly carried the feel of the Japanese voice, I could instantly recognise it, and to be honest I actually had to play two clips of the English and Japanese voices to be sure they were different. Keima's voice felt a little different in how deep it was, but it actually felt very fitting.

I watched this with my 12 year old brother, I was pretty sure there was nothing obscene, and he seemed to like it. I think that he may have had problems trying to understand what a dating sim was at first. Also when characters made reference to what language they were speaking, like saying that they were speaking Japanese, or when supposedly speaking English and they would just speak English slowly. And then there was when Kanon would be talking and then start singing, which her voice would slightly change and she was speaking Japanese, although the voices were not bad, and Kanon's songs are catchy. While some jokes may have not hit my brother right, there was some parts in a second season episode that had him almost wetting himself in laughter. Which was when Haqua spoiler[came to do a report and Elsie messed with the instructions making the tiny people suddenly have a festival dance, or when Haqua's instructions led to naughty things happening between her and Keima's model.] Although I did notice an odd edit in English for what Elsie said for the second one.

I noticed some interesting art inclusions like Tenri and Diana appearing in artwork at the end of episodes despite not appearing until and OVA still to come. And that the content in the preview of things to come was largely missed with what the third season has done. I definetly enjoyed rewatching these series more than I liked them the first time around, perhaps it took me so long to actually really like this series, having to watch up to part way through season three to realize I actually loved this series.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost at the end of watching AKB0048. The world was environmentally devastated as a result of a interplanetary war, forcing people to flee into outer space. In this new world, art and entertainment were outlawed for the reason that they would be "a detriment to the heart." 48 years into the future, an idol group was resurrected as AKB0048. Branded as "terrorists," they arm themselves to protect their profession and their supporters.
The characters within this show are quite dramatic and the songs are full of energy. The fights with the mysterious agents from a covert military operation were really awesome to the max! Smile

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
So I finally finished FMA Sacred Star of Milos. A bit shocked that I came across it so late after the premiere. I have been a die hard fan of the franchise for years, since I first watched the first series.

Well, I think I would be more motivated to watch it if it was a continuation of Brotherhood, rather than an episode from the middle of the series. It features the Alchemy, the Elrics, glimpses of Mustang and Hawkeye and an idea stolen from the first FMA series (an city hidden underground, with a passage through a church), lots of action and talking people in and out of creating a philosopher's stone. But it lacks something, maybe a touch more humour, or a more gripping story- this one was a bit cloudy and muddled and random and characters hard to care about. So yeah, it lacks everything the series had except for the few main characters.

You did better than me as I had a "no, no, no" mantra right from the start when Random Stranger came up with a new kind of alchemy that the Elric brothers never even heard of but which is based on runes instead of circles. {"So it's not alchemy then?"}. Then I realized that Bones was in full Fullmetal Alchemist "revisionist" mode {ie: making crap up that both conflicts with the universe and makes no sense. "Sloth" all over again...} so I just FF'ed through the rest of it.

In short, they kept Fullmetal but dropped the "Alchemist" part. Fullmetal Magician just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I watched the whole thing but it felt like it was a fast forward action to me nevertheless. The last 30 minutes made me feel puzzled, I had no clue who was who (or rather I had, but I could not believe they came up with such a moronic explanation); it definitely did not feel like a coherent part of the FMA world. It somehow managed to top up the first FMA film that I found bad, but Sacred Star of Milos was even worse.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I'm almost at the end of watching AKB0048. The world was environmentally devastated as a result of a interplanetary war, forcing people to flee into outer space. In this new world, art and entertainment were outlawed for the reason that they would be "a detriment to the heart." 48 years into the future, an idol group was resurrected as AKB0048. Branded as "terrorists," they arm themselves to protect their profession and their supporters.
The characters within this show are quite dramatic and the songs are full of energy. The fights with the mysterious agents from a covert military operation were really awesome to the max! Smile

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.

That is one of those shows that when I first planned on watching I had no expectations that I would even like it as I tended to think that idols and the such were so fake and not really interested in normal music. But I ended up being hugely engrossed in AKB0048 that it really took me by surprise and I fell in love with how the show handled music, especially with combat.

I was so happy when the second season came along.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
Galactic Heroes. Didn't realize it had been 60 eps, good things fly by.
saleer757

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching HORIZON IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE season one ,It's passable and enjoyable and I'm starting to watch the second season hopefully it's more enjoyable .
RGaspar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
So I finally finished FMA Sacred Star of Milos. A bit shocked that I came across it so late after the premiere. I have been a die hard fan of the franchise for years, since I first watched the first series.

Well, I think I would be more motivated to watch it if it was a continuation of Brotherhood, rather than an episode from the middle of the series. It features the Alchemy, the Elrics, glimpses of Mustang and Hawkeye and an idea stolen from the first FMA series (an city hidden underground, with a passage through a church), lots of action and talking people in and out of creating a philosopher's stone. But it lacks something, maybe a touch more humour, or a more gripping story- this one was a bit cloudy and muddled and random and characters hard to care about. So yeah, it lacks everything the series had except for the few main characters.

You did better than me as I had a "no, no, no" mantra right from the start when Random Stranger came up with a new kind of alchemy that the Elric brothers never even heard of but which is based on runes instead of circles. {"So it's not alchemy then?"}. Then I realized that Bones was in full Fullmetal Alchemist "revisionist" mode {ie: making crap up that both conflicts with the universe and makes no sense. "Sloth" all over again...} so I just FF'ed through the rest of it.

In short, they kept Fullmetal but dropped the "Alchemist" part. Fullmetal Magician just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I watched the whole thing but it felt like it was a fast forward action to me nevertheless. The last 30 minutes made me feel puzzled, I had no clue who was who (or rather I had, but I could not believe they came up with such a moronic explanation); it definitely did not feel like a coherent part of the FMA world. It somehow managed to top up the first FMA film that I found bad, but Sacred Star of Milos was even worse.

Ugh, you guys made a very convincing point against this movie. I was curious about it and kinda feared it was a lost case, because the FMA story just felt done after the ending of Brotherhood.

I might still watch it at some point, but my expectations are going to be rather low. On second thought, maybe I won't. I hated Conqueror of Shamballa, and if this is even worse...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:12 am Reply with quote
I watched the English dub of K-ON! the Movie with my youngest brother. It was good, I can see that they put quite a lot of thought into when characters would speak English or swap into Japanese which is important to understand some scenes. And of course the music always having the original Japanese lyrics, though sung quite well by the English voice actresses, although I noticed one song done as background music having the original voice.

You do get some interesting scenes from it being in English that don't translate over well. Like when characters were meant to be struggling with English words it would have sounded silly for the English voice to be struggling, so it sounds a tiny bit awkward. Also sing all the London characters speak in strong English accents it makes it sound like the group of girls can not understand them just because of their accents or the slang they use. Laughing

I used to hate on dubs, but it is all pretty well done I don't think there was really anything out of character or anything. Although still I would recommend it a bit to watch it in the original Japanese, this is not being some sub snob. I think some of the scenes in London are better to understand when seeing them in the proper language context. Both are still passable. Happy to have the DVD next to my boxsets of the previous seasons.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:

Ugh, you guys made a very convincing point against this movie. I was curious about it and kinda feared it was a lost case, because the FMA story just felt done after the ending of Brotherhood.

I might still watch it at some point, but my expectations are going to be rather low. On second thought, maybe I won't. I hated Conqueror of Shamballa, and if this is even worse...

If you have anything else to watch, I'd pass on the film. I am a huge fan of FMA, loved both series to bits, but both films were a bi disappointment. As it turns out, the first film had a lot more continuity with the series, the second almost none except for a few caracters.
A film like this could be done, I remember watching the Cowboy Bebop film a while back that was quite good, an was also placed chronologically halfway through the series (so was in fact a full length episode), and was quite enjoyable to watch.
I would usually say to give it a go and see for yourself, but I wish I had not wasted my time on it...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I am a huge fan of FMA, loved both series to bits, but both films were a bi disappointment.

To much het content, eh? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 778 of 1062