• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezreal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
So, went over to my friend's place, we watched the first two eps of my new Mad Bull 34 DVD. It's bizarre, but I'm finding myself oddly endeared by it. Compared to so many other old OVAs, the action scenes are passable and the gore pointlessly over the top. As are the sheer amount of bewbs all over the place. But normally in terrible OVAs, the characters have no personality whatsoever. Daizaboro and Sleepy are clearly terrible people (and Sleepy is most likely a pimp as well), it's almost hard to not find them enjoyable to watch when Sleepy attaches a bunch of grenades to his pubes for absolutely no discernible reason. Or watching them dress in drag horribly twice in one episode yet somehow see them managed to fool people. They're supposed to be the straight cop and the bad cop, but it's more like the cop that shoots off heads before asking questions and has sex with girls and takes their money cop and the cop who's kinda ok with it for not very good reasons. It's totally worth it to see what crazy thing is going to come up next and make you shake your head and go "Oh, Japan!", it's definitely an oddly enjoyable watch. But not quite in the near-painful stupidity way that Garzey's Wing is (though all the forced accents in this dub are also hilarious, the dialogue sounds like some minimal amount of thought to making normal English sentences was employed here, unlike Garzey's Wing "Oh my god, I felt like I was having a dream" style of dialogue). I am glad that Discotek got this, they're picking good old things to go after (though in this case, it's because it's such a weird spectacle that it's somehow awesome). Can't wait to see eps 3 and 4, but omg, I can only take so much in one sitting.

Also saw more of S-CRY-ed, this series keeps going in directions I wasn't expecting, but it's making them work. I'm excited to see how it'll end, actually, as it's nowhere near as predictable as I would've first pegged it. And Straight Cougar is still awesome. While the one girl sounds exactly like Kari in Digimon, I'm glad that Joe's VA doesn't sound exactly like Joe (seeing how he's voicing a clear villain this time)
supercreep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
Le Chevallier D'Eon
I'm sure I misspelled that. I went into this thinking that it was a strict historical drama, but that is so far from the truth that I'm shocked that I ever thought that. I've only seen five episodes so far but I've been enjoying it. I wish that there was a better explanation for the magic, which just seems to be accepted and nothing out of the ordinary. Right now it holds my interest, and I hope that it becomes something truly great.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I just finished 1st season of Kingdom and rated it good. At first it was a bit difficult to get into because they switched back and forth between CGI and animation. Really it was really odd how they often used CGI for something like council meetings and then animation for fight scenes. I don't know who came up with all this or maybe they had a REALLY tight budget for each episode. However once I got drawn into this anime it really turned out to be a quite a gem. Looking forward to season 2.

I've also being watching Ah! My Goddess and it's getting pretty painful to watch. The episode with the robot for example was so painful, I felt like skipping the episode. I feel like this anime is not serious enough or it lacks a plot to be enjoyable. Watching these episodes feels worthless when it's not amounting to anything. It really needs a plot that would connect the episodes other than Keiichi and Belldandy and that demon that seems to be there for comedic relief only. Until something interesting happens watching each episode is going to be quite a chore. It's not even funny.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Rewatching Madoka had to wait, since I stumbled upon Sakamichi no Apollon/Kids on the Slope yesterday and could not stop watching (and listening). That was absolutely wonderful, a gentle and engaging reminder of how beautiful and sad growing up was like. All those emotions - thanks for reviving them, even just for a little while ...

The characters are simply adorable, what a beautifully portrayed friendship. Watanabe knows how to present this story in just the right pictures, not a single frame was wasted. The soundtrack is, of course, enchanting, contributing to and shaping the melancholic feel of the series.

An absolute delight, that's what this anime is.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
A very nice man at the local library recommended H.O.T.D. to me, so out of politeness — and also from an interest in broadening my horizons, and valuing all sincere recommendations — I watched an episode.
Yikes! Not my cup of tea.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Sailormoon SuperS (SUB) because.....when does a girl ever need a REASON to watch the most classic shoujo series of all time!? Anime hyper

(okay so rereading the manga put me in the mood on but still!)
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quote
Is it good? I've only seen the first three series — and thought I had pretty thoroughly got the idea, to be honest!
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Is it good? I've only seen the first three series — and thought I had pretty thoroughly got the idea, to be honest!
Depends on how much you like Chibi-usa. SuperS is fine on its own, but it suffers from having to follow up the excellent third season.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
Chibi-usa. I see....
(Does anyone like Chibi-usa, really?) Confused
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote
The concept of her character is good, but she ended up being the Scrappy-doo of the series.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Chibi-usa. I see....
(Does anyone like Chibi-usa, really?) Confused

I do not like her....but you do see the best sides of her in SuperS. She's surprisingly mature at times. I like SuperS because I think the whole concept of dream mirrors and the evil circus is really cool...and I LOVE the Amazoness Quartet and the Trio is really funny too. And each Inner Senshi gets her own subplot per episode which is always great!
kaydub

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I watched 5 Centimeters Per Second last night since it was up on Crunchyroll for the weekend. I figured it wasn't going to be a happy, inspiring story, but I definitely didn't expect it to bombard me with so many feels. The story resonated with me quite strongly, as I've gone through something similar myself (not quite the same, but similar). I must admit that by the time the credits were rolling, I was a blubbering mess. I'm not sure I've ever read or watched anything that had such a strong emotional impact on me...

That aside, I thought it was an utterly fantastic work of art. The artwork was nothing short of astounding even with CR's lame 480p stream (it helped that I watched it on my phone, which makes just about everything look sharp and high-quality). There were numerous parts where I just wanted to pause it and drool over how beautifully drawn the scenery was.

I'm a little surprised that many people found the story hard to follow, or felt that it was lacking in resolution. The whole movie was chock full of symbolism and I thought it was relatively easy to pick up on the themes that Shinkai was trying to portray. The snowy train ride in particular was an especially strong example that I really liked, and the first act was probably my favorite of the whole movie.

I rated it a masterpiece and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a touching romantic story or even just some astounding eye candy. I'd love to own this one on Blu-Ray.

I'll probably watch The Place Promised In Our Early Days and Children Who Chase Lost Voices tomorrow before CR removes them, and maybe Voices Of A Distant Star too even though I've already seen it (since it's short).
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
A thank you to kaydub for the heads-up about Crunchyroll streaming Makoto Shinkai movies this weekend. Because of that I was able to watch Children Who Chase Lost Voices, and it was very good. First off, the art was fantastic. Not only was it beautiful and detailed, it really had that old every-leaf-lovingly-hand-drawn look that you just don't get anymore.

I really loved the setting. Adventure is my favorite genre, and Agartha was a wondrous place to explore. I only wish that we had gotten a little more history on it spoiler[from when it was in its glory days.] Despite all these pluses, I was left wanting at the end. I just felt like a lot of interesting elements were ignored or forgotten in favor of Asuna and Mr Morisaki's journey. Yes, their journey, both physical and metaphorical, was the whole point but the journey's conclusion wasn't entirely satisfying to me. spoiler[Mr Morisaki decides to sacrifice Asuna for his wife, but when Shin stops him, Morisaki just gives up?] That seemed unlikely and out of character. I actually thought it made sense spoiler[that Asuna forgave him and didn't blame him for what he tried to do, but it was annoying that there was no explanation or wind down after that intense climax. It's like they went 'Welp, he failed the end'. I would've liked to have seen more on him coming to terms with his wife's death.] And more on Asuna too! She decided to enter Agartha because she felt something was missing in her life, and she was lonely, but spoiler[I didn't feel like either of those issues were addressed.]

One of the things that interested me the most was spoiler[the Clavis that Asuna had, from her father.] I really really wish it had touched upon that! spoiler[If her father had a Clavis piece, he was probably from Agatha, and that would make Asuna half Agarthan.] That would put a different perspective on her journey, and explain why she always felt something was missing from her life.

Overall, I liked this movie a lot, but like Asuna felt at the start of the movie, I felt like something was missing.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
I just watched Mawaru Penguindrum. Sailor Moon meets the X-Files, with a liberal doses of Donnie Darko and The Lathe of Heaven, and a hint of Death Note. Several hints. Starts out innocently enough, then gets comically brutal, unnecessarily brutal at least from some characters' points of view, then dark. Dark. Dark. Not an anime to watch if you are thinking of cashing in your chips. Or maybe it is. I can't decide. About either. Time will tell. It is worth watching. You will get out what you put in. Be forewarned. Not for the feint hearted or those with personal issues about terrorist acts, sacrifice, or child abuse.

Last edited by gridsleep on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 755 of 1062